Programs & Projects
1. Important Bird Areas (IBA) Program
The Important Bird Areas process is the application of internationally agreed criteria to define the global importance of sites for biodiversity conservation at a national level, followed by a cycle of monitoring, action and advocacy to ensure the conservation of sites, in perpetuity.
2. Forests for Food: the Debre Birhan Land Restoration and Food Security Project
The purpose of the project is to contribute to the reduction of poverty and improve the livelihoods of the community involved in the project through planting trees to arrest environmental degradation and increasing productivity of land.
3. Abijata-Shalla Lakes National Park Site Support Group (SSG) Project
The objective of the project is to mitigate the environmental problems in Abijata –Shalla Lakes National Park (ASLNP) area with the participation of the local communities, using the SSG as an entry point; and to improve local livelihoods problems through the Revolving Fund Scheme.
4. The Ethiopian Sustainable Tourism Alliance (ESTA) Project
The Project aims to enhance biodiversity conservation and economic development through sustainable tourism products, services and other opportunities throughout destination regions of the country (the Central Rift valley of Ethiopia).
5. Environmental Education and Awareness Creation Program
The EWNHS is engaged in supporting environmental program of schools and communities which mostly focuses on school communities i.e. working with students and teachers to help reach communities at large through them. This project is aimed at supporting school environmental clubs to be self-supportive in organizing panel discussions, establishing school nursery sites, conducting in-door and out-door environmental awareness raising activities as well as to produce publications on environmental issues.
6. Indoor Outdoor Activities (pending)
Environmental awareness raising field excursion trips and panel discussion programs are organized by the Society to enable members to visit various places of environmental initiatives and discuss issues on the current environmental situation of the country. The program was started in 1966 and since then members have been participating in excursion programs and panel discussions organized by the Society.
7. Trees For Cities Project
- Maximize the potential of urban greening projects in Addis Ababa throough increased PR marketing and fund raising.
- Developing and implementing practical projects on issue such as joint tree planting initative through the area.
- Exchange of information and best practices on issue such as on awareness raising, community involvement and training.
- Implementing a world wide movemet to green cities.